This blog is best viewed using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari browsers. If you are visiting via Internet Explorer, you will not see the full blog page, including sidebars.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sunshine on My Shoulders Makes Me Happy!



Doctor:  “Your Vit. D levels are low.”
Me:  “I live in Oregon.”
Doctor:  (chuckle) “I know.  But we need to get them higher.”
Me: “I’ll move to Hawaii. Will insurance pay for that?”
Doctor: (chuckle) “No.”
Me:  “Dang.”
Doctor: “Increase your Vit. D intake to 4,000 I.U’s per day.  And ideally get 10 minutes of natural sunlight per day.”
What I was thinking:  “Seriously?  Do you LIVE in Oregon?”
What I said: “Okay.”

And so goes the most recent conversation I’ve had with my doctor who was brilliant enough to test my Vitamin D levels.

And for good reason.  I’m over 60 and…yes...post-menopausal.  The older you get, the less Vitamin D you produce.  Ugh.  Add to that, my genetic history of osteoporosis from my mom and grandma – both having had multiple, spontaneous fractures after the age of 60.  And, hey, I live in Oregon, land of rain, where you own multiple stylish umbrellas, not sunglasses.   Put all of that together with a job that keeps me at the computer much of the day, and yeah…I’m definitely high risk for Vitamin D deficiency.  No surprises there!

Vitamin D deficiency is often overlooked because the early symptoms are usually subtle.  But here’s the deal.  If you’re over 40, spend much of your time indoors, live in a low sun region, and aren’t really big on eating oily fish and dairy products…you’re most likely deficient.  I can’t say you ARE deficient.  But since 100 million Americans are estimated to have Vitamin D deficiency…the likelihood is pretty great.

And before you Florida, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Africa girls dismiss the idea of Vitamin D deficiency and pity the rest of us living in web footed regions…you’re also at risk.  Just because you have sunshine on your shoulders more often doesn’t mean you’re getting the recommended 10 minutes a day on your non-sunscreened skin that is recommended to prevent…rickets.  

In fact, one of the problems with a technology based culture is that more and more people are staying inside!  And more and more of us are wearing sunscreen on exposed body parts in obedience to dermatologists who have scared us silly with threats of skin cancer and…heaven forbid…wrinkles and age spots!  It’s a difficult dilemma.  But one that needs to be considered.

Because here are some of the problems associated with Vitamin D deficiency:
1    *Osteoporosis – this condition of brittle bones affects over 10 million adults over the age of 50
2    *Seasonal Affective Disorder – this mood related, low serotonin depression occurs commonly when people            are deprived of natural light, in particular sunlight.  Just think how much happier your mood is when the sun  shines!
3    *Higher risk of cancer – research shows a link between cancer risk and low Vitamin D levels.
4    *Higher risk of cardiovascular disease and events – there is a higher prevalence of stroke and heart attack in those with Vitamin D deficiency.
5    * Higher risk of diabetes
6    *Higher risk of autoimmune diseases

There’s more.  Vitamin D therapy has shown to increase immunity to viruses!   You get the idea. We're just now realizing how important this Vitamin is.  Decades ago, no one expected Vitamin D deficiency to cause anything but rickets – a skeletal disease that pretty much prompted Vitamin D fortified milk and cereal.  It used to be a common idea that “old women” just broke hips.  Because they were old.   Boo!  Doctors used to recommend increased calcium supplementation to protect our aging bones - except that women were still suffering from osteopenia and full blown osteoporosis in spite of it.  Turns out Vitamin D is what’s necessary for the body to even absorb the calcium.
 
Bottom line.  Ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level.  Please.  Every woman over 40 should have this test.  It is a simple blood test.  And it will yield a volume of information about what’s going on in your body and help you make a plan for an active, dynamic, fully productive future.
 
For myself, finding out that I was minimally deficient tells me that although I’m already doing a lot to protect my bones from a genetic tendency towards osteoporosis – like exercising regularly, taking a Vitamin D supplement, taking natural plant-based hormones…I can do more.  Like break away from the computer and  get myself outside for at least 10 minutes on those rare but blessed sunny days in Oregon – and yes…like the doctor ordered, increase my Vitamin D3 drops (make sure you’re taking Vitamin D3) for the extra edge. 
 
Here are the Vitamin D3 drops that I take and are approved by my doctor:

Everything else you need to know about Vitamin D is contained in this EXCELLENT video by Dr. Oz - so please take the time to watch!



And here’s a little moment of sunshine happiness for you.  Enjoy!
Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog