This blog is best viewed using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari browsers. If you are visiting via Internet Explorer, you will not see the full blog page, including sidebars.

Monday, September 21, 2009

No Pain, No Gain (Part 2)

The other day, as I was pedaling on one of the stationary bicycles at the gym, a lady caught my attention. She had entered the exercise room walking with a cane, noticeably limping. Dressed in exercise clothing, she was headed my way. She slowly made her way to the bicycle next to me. Not really knowing why, I removed my earphones as she hung her cane over the handlebars and slowly, gently climbed on the seat. She smiled pleasantly at me as she situated herself. Once seated, and with her left foot securely on the pedal, she gently used her hands to lift her right leg and foot onto the remaining pedal.

And she was off – pedaling slowly and rhythmically, looking about the room, and smiling at everyone who dared to make eye contact.

It fascinated me that in a gym, where the intensity of workouts produced more grimaces than smiles, an obviously middle-aged woman, in need of a cane, seemed happy to be there!

A bit breathless from my own rapid spinning, I slowed my pace a bit, feeling compelled to greet this woman. “How are you, today?” She instantly replied, “I’m great; it’s a beautiful day.” I had to agree that Portland Septembers are, indeed, the best weather days of the year.

Her knee bumped her cane, and it fell to the floor. I jumped up to retrieve it. And then her story unfolded. “That silly old thing can be such a nuisance, but I’m glad to have it.” I climbed back on my bicycle, wondering why she might be glad to have a cane. “Did you take a tumble?” I asked. “No. I had a stroke, and I wasn’t sure if I’d ever walk again. But I was determined and I’m getting pretty good with that thing.” She smiled. And as I looked directly at her, I saw that one side of her smile drooped down. But the other side was, indeed, a thankful, full grin. She added, “I’m so thrilled to even be here in a gym. And I’m determined to walk again without this cane. I just need to build my strength. This is the only lower body exercise I can do, but I’m doing it.”

I felt humbled and embarrassed for all the times I whined and complained and made exercise on an elliptical machine sound like a walk down the green mile. Or for all the times I felt burdened by the effort that exercise would require of me – and for all the years I justified my lack of exercise. I felt a great deal of instant admiration for someone who considered exercise – even a slow pedal on a stationary bicycle – a blessing and a gift.

Since the day I first spoke with this lady, I have seen her many times and now have a name for her: Elaine. And Elaine and I always greet each other – and when Elaine is there, even if I’m pretty sure I’ll collapse doing another set of leg presses….I always smile.


******

Deciding on a good exercise program requires that you be realistic with yourself. Exercise regimens are different for everyone – based on personality, commitment, work schedules, current health status, and availability of equipment. What I can say, without doubt, is that everyone can find some way to exercise. The most frequent two excuses I hear concerning exercise – and ones I’ve used myself – are: I’m too tired and/or I work too many hours. The unfortunate demise of those two arguments is inevitable. Exercise increases your energy level, thus easing the tiredness and weariness of long work days. And in reality, working too many hours is detrimental to not only your physical health - but to your emotional and spiritual health. Exercise relieves emotional stress. In the end, there really isn’t much gain without a little pain. And that's true in all aspects of life...

I am sometimes asked what my exercise routine looks like. I’ve shaped my regimen to work for me personally, with my particular schedule. I started slow and have built and increased the workout over time. I highly recommend that if you are considering an exercise routine for the first time, you have a thorough health check-up first.
I exercise every other day for about 2 hours. Here is my routine:
  • Ten minutes of stretching
  • 30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical trainer
  • 3 weight machines: abdomen, quadriceps, arms/chest
  • 15 minutes of cardio on the stationary bicycle
  • 3 weight machines: triceps, shoulders, back
  • 20 minutes of cardio on the treadmill
  • 1 weight machine: legs

I sip cold water throughout the workout - and listen to music on my iPod.

Let's take a little encouragement from Elaine and make an effort to see exercise not as a burden or a chore - but as a blessing.

Smile!

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog